I don’t know about your neck of the woods, but it is hot as HELL outside. The first day of summer is rapidly approaching, and if you want to know what horror movies to watch to get you in the mood, let’s count down the top 10 best horror movies to get you ready for summer. Whether they take place at a summer camp, a beach, or just a dusty, hot locale, these movies will get you in the right mindset.
10. The Ruins (2008): A group of friends on a trek through Mexico happen upon some ruins that hold a terrifying secret. You can practically feel the heat coming out of the television.
9. Sleepaway Camp (1983): This cult-favorite slasher takes place at a summer camp.
8. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997): Recent graduates celebrating after the summer pageant victory of one of their own accidentally mow down an innocent pedestrian.
7. Piranha 3D (2010): Beachgoers are terrorized by bloodthirsty piranhas and try to survive. Makes me want to go for a dip right now…
6. The Final Girls (2015): A girl and her friends are sucked into a crappy slasher movie and have to fight to survive. This is another one that takes place (at least the movie within the movie) at a summer camp. If you want to survive a horror movie, don’t go to a summer camp.
5. The Cabin in the Woods (2012): College friends on vacation are manipulated into playing out every horror movie ever made – ever.
4. The Hills Have Eyes (1977): A family gets stranded in the desert on summer vacation and get attacked by crazy, desert-dwelling mutants. Summer fun? Not so much.
3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): A group of friends go on a summer road trip and get stuck in a nasty, dusty, hot town in Texas. This one makes me sweat just watching it, and I’m not about from fear.
1. Jaws (1975) and Friday the 13th (1980): Well, I just couldn’t decide between the two of these for the top position, so I let them share the title. Beach vs. summer camp. It’s really hard to pick. And both are classics, so…yeah. I’m not up for that kind of decision-making at the moment.
So what movies get you in the mood for summer?