If you’re a fan of horror movies or even movies in general, you know there is no shortage of characters to hate. Some are just bad, some are so bad you love to hate them, and some are the kind of bad that makes you afraid of them.
And then there’s this douchebag.
WARNING; If you haven’t seen the movie yet (and shame on you if you haven’t), here be spoilers.
The movie opens with Rosemary and her husband, Guy, apartment hunting in New York. They end up in the Brown, an old building with a lot of frightening history, and make friends with the old couple living next door, Roman and Minnie Castevet. After having dinner with them one night, Guy grows close with them.
I’ll cut to the chase. Minnie and Roman are actually Satan worshippers who help Guy become successful after he consents to allowing Rosemary to be raped and impregnated by the devil.
And if that last sentence doesn’t do it for you, let me run down the reasons why I hate him so much:
- Rosemary is a sweet, naive young woman who loves Guy and wants nothing more than to have his children and live a happy life with him. Guy knows this, and he sacrifices her happiness to get ahead in his profession.
- He tells her he wants to have a baby, something she wants so, so much. Then, he drugs her, undresses her for the ritual to take place in front of the Satan-worshippers, and – what was the last thing? Oh, yeah – allows her to be RAPED BY SATAN!
- He repeatedly makes Rosemary feel like crap during her pregnancy. She gets a haircut (THE iconic pixie haircut), and he tells her multiple times how terrible it looks (very minor compared to rape, but still). She says she wants to get a second opinion about the terrible pain she’s experiencing, and he says he won’t let her do it because it isn’t fair to her doctor.
- He sacrifices Rosemary’s friend (and his friend), Hutch, to ensure that he doesn’t get in the way. THEN, he throws away a book that is the only thing Hutch leaves Rosemary. Yeah, he throws it away to keep Rosemary from reading anything else about Roman’s history, but it’s a pretty crappy thing to do.
- This line: “They told me you wouldn’t be hurt, and you haven’t been, really. Supposing you had the baby and you lost it. That would be the same thing, wouldn’t it? And we’re getting so much in return, Ro.” Ugh!
- And one more time for those in the back: HE ALLOWS HER TO BE RAPED BY SATAN.Yep. This guy.
Whoa. I got pretty riled up and angry just from writing all of that. I just cannot stand this guy. So what about you? Are there any characters in horror movies that just make your skin crawl?